Wednesday 19 June 2013

Olden

Spectacular glacial Nordfjord with sheer
cliff faces and cascading waterfalls, just what I imagined when I heard the word fjord! We did not tour today as the choices were the glacier (largest in Europe) and the lake below it. Thought we would just prowl  the village and Å‚usurrounding countryside. One really old church from was 1759 which used the timbers from the original stave church for pew doors and jambs. The coat racks were antlers. The next church (red) is a short walk up the road and was constructed in 1934 in order to preserve the older church. Olden is a pastoral village with sheep grazing across the road from the small school, where some students were playing a pretty competitive game of beach volley ball as I walked by. Great walking trails with wooden bridges crossing creeks which flank the sprawling village and farms. Lovely sunny quiet day which was great for walking. Also went and got my hair styled on ship so I can have the option of leaving it curly if I choose. Not anyone pricy. Nice relaxing day. Finished up with another fantastic dinner from the Trellis.  Switched to cherries jubilee for dessert tonight to cap off the excellent blackened Fish entree. We are not suffering much. Listened to a couple sets from Will Foraker, a brilliant blues player from Idaho. I am happy to report the seas have been placid and I have not needed to wear the seasickness patch or bracelets. Weather has been sure here so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment